Re: [opensuse] display size
  • From: Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 15:31:08 +0100 (CET)
> I'd like to suggest that if nice fonts matter to you, that you at
least
> test, if not switch to permanently, either:
>
> 1-choose a display resolution that calculates as close as
possible to
> exactly 96 DPI for your display (only if your display is not a
flat
> panel, otherwise stick to the flat panel's native resolution), or
>
> 2-choose the highest display resolution your display supports
for your
> choice of color depth. This is not always the same as the
highest
> resolution your monitor's specs claim.

Thanks for the answers.

I read the NVIDIA driver's README file and it said that the
values specified in xorg.conf file are overridden by the values
supplied by EDID/DDC. So one have to use the option
Option "UseEDIDDpi" "FALSE"
for making xorg.conf's own DPI setting into effect.

Really, after diasabling UseEDIDDpi xpdyinfo reported the
correct dimensions.

Now turning back to your advice, changing the resolution to
higher: I would like to keep 1024x768 @ 85Hz (LG Flatron 17"
CRT monitor, 16" diagonal viewable). Setting dimensions to the
real monitor values (325x244 mm) gives ~80 DPI.

What if I raise DPI by applying false dimensions, eg 271x203
mm (what should give ~96 DPI)?
Or setting dimensions to 345x260 mm what should give ~75
DPI?
Which one would be better and how does it affect resolution for
other stuff than fonts?

Thanks,
IG

___________________________________________Kössön utasbiztosítást a síszezon idejére!