Re: [opensuse] just don't get it: is it SOOO difficult to play mp3? (worked an hour on it)
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:35:54 +0100
I'm not sure about the history of this post and I do not use gstreamer
(that I know of).
But all I did to get mp3 and other codecs to work in Amarok, mplayer etc
was to install libxine1 from Packman.
Took me one Google search and the time to add Packman to
SmartPackageManager (can use Yast,Zypp,wahatever as well)

But yes, I agree, get the license issue sorted for openSUSE!

ps What does other distros do? Ubuntu, Fedora?

In Kubuntu, when you start up Amarok and attempt to play an MP3 you
get a popup that says that you need to install an additional file to
enable MP3 playback. You are given the option inside that popup to
install the extras, or to cancel and leave things as they are... if
you tell it to install it asks for your sudo password, downloads and
installs everything you need from the repositories and you're done..
you can play MP3s.

As an end user you don't have to concern yourself with what you need,
it's just resolved automatically when you attempt to play an MP3 for
the first time. No futzing about with finding out what repository to
use...

C.