Re: [opensuse] just don't get it: is it SOOO difficult to play mp3? (worked an hour on it)
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 00:42:13 -0900
On Thursday 25 January 2007 23:57, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> why not just do it again, as mp3 license is not
> expensive (as last time I read some article about it). I don't
> understand, why suse is removing all these IMPORTANT non-opensource
> components step-by-step?

Yes, especially when the patent holders of mp3 state CLEARLY on
their web page that no license is need for free software users.

So anyone who downloads suse can freely use mp3 software
without a license. They couldn't put it in the boxed set, but
they could make it available free from ftp on the first update
the way the old SuSE used to do.