Re: [opensuse] external HD problem
  • From: Vince Oliver <vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 10:24:02 +0100 (CET)
hi Dominique,

Thanks for quick reply.

I am not an frequent-user of Linux and I am not sure how to check what is
a FS of the external hard. what commad to use to check it out?

with mount command I get:

/dev/hda3 on / type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
/dev/hda4 on /home type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/dev/hda1 on /windows/C type ntfs
(ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,nls=utf8)
/dev/sda5 on /media/EXTERNAL type subfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sda5 on /media/EXTERNAL type subfs (rw)
/dev/sda5 on /media/EXTERNAL type subfs (rw)

As far as I understand this is a result of trying to mounth with

mount -t subfs /dev/sda5 /media/EXTERNAL

3 times. All tree times it was accomplished successfully (but a bit
strangely because there was no message that the FS is already mounted
when doing it second and third time). And 'rw' in parantheses tells me
that the FS ir readable and writable. So why it does not work than?

oliver