Re: [opensuse] my internet hub prefers windoze to linux!
  • From: M Harris <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 23:36:03 -0600

> Toss hub.  Buy Switch.
John is correct...

... but maybe a small explanation would help...

The hub is not a router (it is selective), resulting in high packet
collisions and subsequent retransmissions. Also there is a high degree of
wasted filtering as each machine's IP stack rejecting packets not designated
for that machine.

A modern switch (on the other hand) has its own arp cache (it keeps track of
all the hardware addresses plugged into the switch) which allows it to route
packets intended for machine B to go only to machine B. This cuts way down on
packet collisions and subsequent retransmissions as saving huge amounts of
band width.

I would recommend the Skylink 8 Port switch... relatively inexpensive, and
very fast (does 10/100,. and keeps track of 100 or 10 separately) for the
money for a wired network.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris <><