Re: [opensuse] fsck running amok
  • From: J Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:27:50 -0800
Thomas Hertweck wrote:
> Darryl Gregorash wrote:
>
>> On 2007-01-22 13:09, Thomas Hertweck wrote:
>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> I don't know details about ReiserFS - this FS has been banned from all
>>> our systems a long time ago. I know a bit about ext3 and xfs though.
>>>

>> Interesting. I'd be interested in knowing why, if you can share that
>> information.
>>

> We have used ReiserFS when it became known and when it was available in
> Linux distributions. However, at that time we faced lots of weird
> problems that were caused by the filesystem (yes, these were problems
> with the FS and not the hardware) and reiserfsck was not working very
> well, i.e. if something went wrong, we had situation where reiserfsck
> made things much worse instead of repairing the FS. We then decided that
> this is certainly not a filesystem we would like to use in a production
> environment. Since we usually have to deal with large systems (tens or
> hundreds of TiB) and (very) large files, we decided to try xfs (which we
> already knew from our SGI servers) - xfs was designed and optimized for
> large filesystems and large files right from the beginning. It turned
> out to be a very good decision and, thus, there was no need to come back
> and try ReiserFS. On thin clients or laptops and/or dual-boot machines,
> we are using ext3. It's a bit safer when it comes to losing data at
> power cuts (which is due to the way the journalling works) - our
> desktops have no UPS. Furthermore, there exist tools to access ext
> partitions from Windows OS.

Sorry, but that just sounds too bizarre to me - we've been using
reiserfs in our data center for years, since it's the default filesystem
on suse linux. It's been rock solid here, and is also the fastest
journaling filesystem we've found. I understand that reiserfs
maintenance going forward may slow down, so we'll have to eventually
settle on a different filesystem, but there's no reason to suddenly
change all of our stable systems on a political whim.

Hopefully some other filesystem will be able to fill the gap - possibly
ext4, or xfs.

Joe