Re: [opensuse] fsck running amok
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 00:46:03 -0600
On 2007-01-22 13:09, Thomas Hertweck wrote:
> <snip>
>
> I don't know details about ReiserFS - this FS has been banned from all
> our systems a long time ago. I know a bit about ext3 and xfs though.

Interesting. I'd be interested in knowing why, if you can share that
information. I'm using a Reiser-only installation right now, but it
requires a rather large journal (at least, that is what the installation
told me when I tried to create a small /boot partition, about 15 MB or
so -- minimum partition size was stated at just over 100 MB). Ext3 seems
like a good alternative; I've never used xfs at all.
> When the filesystem is marked as clean, then there is usually no need
> to do an fsck or to replay the journal - the filesystem should be in a

I thought you had to run fsck to determine if the filesystem is clean?
As for replaying the journal, that seems to be a constant with Reiser.
What you say definitely makes sense, but seems to be contradicted in
practice, at least insofar as my log files tell me.