Re: [opensuse] fsck running amok
  • From: Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 19:09:41 +0000

Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> [...]
> The reason I wrote that way is because my boot.msg contains the following:
>
> Checking file systems...
> fsck 1.36 (05-Feb-2005)
> Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x349 of format 3.6 with standard
> journal
> Blocks (total/free): 2008112/1231671 by 4096 bytes
> Filesystem is clean
> Replaying journal..
> <etc>
>
> Am I correct in viewing the whole thing, super block plus tree
> structure, as the "file system?" It would seem that first there is a
> check for a valid super block, then the tree is checked for consistency,
> and only then is the journal replayed. (Other journalling f ilesystems
> may vary in specifics, of course.)

I don't know details about ReiserFS - this FS has been banned from all
our systems a long time ago. I know a bit about ext3 and xfs though.
When the filesystem is marked as clean, then there is usually no need
to do an fsck or to replay the journal - the filesystem should be in a
consistent state and it can be mounted (there will be a forced fsck if
max mount count has been reached etc. or if the fsck is forced by the
user, e.g. via /forcefsck). If the filesystem is not marked as clean,
then the journal is replayed in order to bring the FS into a consistent
state. If it works, then the FS is marked as clean and will be mounted.
If something goes wrong, then a complete fsck might be necessary. If
it's the root filesystem, then you might end up at a root console and
the system asks you to perform an fsck manually.