Re: [opensuse] SOLVED: SysRq output on serial console?
  • From: Winfried Huber <win@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 19:04:17 +0100
Am Freitag, 19. Januar 2007 20:36 schrieb Bill Anderson:
> Winfried Huber wrote:
> > Hi Bill,
> >
> > Am Donnerstag, 18. Januar 2007 20:55 schrieb Bill Anderson:
> >

> >> Suse set the kernel log level when starting the klogd daemon. I would
> >> prefer that klogd not modify the log log level. If a change is to be
> >> made to the default log level, why not make the change in sysctl.conf?
> >>

> >   adding KERNEL_LOGLEVEL = "7" to /etc/sysctl.conf does not work for me
> > (openSuSE 10.2) - this line seems to be simply ignored. The value
> > in /etc/sysconfig/syslog gets used, and if it's commented out the default
> > value of 1 is used.
> > A value of "5" turned out to be "chatty enough" for the sysctl message
> > bodies.
> >
> > Why do you think setting KERNEL_LOGLEVEL in /etc/sysconfig/syslog is
> > evil? I think tuning the system is the purpose of /etc/sysconfig/* files?
> >
> > Winfried
> >

> You are correct in that setting a value in sysctl.conf is changed by the
> klogd parameter. The purpose of klogd is to extract kernel messages from
> the kernel buffer and pass them to the syslog-ng daemon. It is not its
> purpose to tune kernel parameters. The purpose of the sysctl command,
> and sysctl.conf at boot time, is to tune the writable parameters shown
> in /proc/sys. While many people use the echo command, you can modify the
> kernel log level at any time with the command sysctl -w kernel.printk=8.
> The log levels are 0 through 7, and the specified log level says print
> all message that are less than this value. This is different than syslog
> configuration, where the log level specifies values that are equal to or
> less than.
>
> Another reason for using sysctl.conf is that you control the log level
> earlier in the boot process. This may be important if you are looking
> for debug messages, which are log level 7.
>
> Bill Anderson

Thanks for lifting the fog...
I now use both places: sysctl.conf to make the boot process chatty,
and /etc/sysconfig/syslog to set the level once the machine has come up.
I will check if I can omit this after the next reboot.
Using echo or sysctl to tune the kernel log level during run time is not an
option for me because this is no more possible once the machine is frozen or
crashed.

Thanks again, Bill!

Winfried Huber