Re: [opensuse] tar
  • From: Kenneth Schneider <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 16:59:59 -0500
On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 14:43 -0700, John Meyer wrote:
> James Knott wrote:
> > Try it without using compressed files. Some tar functions don't work
> > with compression. You can always compress and uncompress separately from
> > adding files.
>

> Okay, here's what I finally came up with
>
> cd $HOME && tar uf $HOME/backups/Pictures.tar Pictures
> gzip $HOME/backups/Pictures.tar
>
> Seems to work, but I can't get the incremental backup feature. Any
> suggestions?

tar tzf $HOME/backups/Pictures.tar Pictures.gz should show all of the
versions of the files in the original backup. The "u" option will not
add additional files that do not exist in the original tar file.

I have not used the "G" option to tar for incremental backups so I
cannot offer help for that.

--
Ken Schneider