RE: [opensuse] fsck running amok

On Sunday, January 21, 2007 @ 2:56 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
<snip>

>Possibly the fsck routine was using the cmos clock to know the current
>time. Yeah, that's it. Look:

>nimrodel:~ # ls /etc/init.d/boot.d/*localfs /etc/init.d/boot.d/*clock
>/etc/init.d/boot.d/K18boot.clock /etc/init.d/boot.d/S07boot.localfs
>/etc/init.d/boot.d/K19boot.localfs /etc/init.d/boot.d/S08boot.clock

>The S07boot.localfs executes before /etc/init.d/boot.d/S08boot.clock,
>meaning that the fsck program runs before the system clock is properly
>set up.

Ok. I understand what you're saying, but that still means that the system
had chosen to write a UTC date to the file system even though I was using
local time on my machine (and always had been since 8.1). Seems like the
date written to the file system should be the same as the one you are using
in your system. I assume they always were in the past and that's why I
never had this problem before. As a matter of fact, the fact that I can't
use local time anymore without having an fsck run every time I boot is a
bug. I would assume it's just a bug that somehow got introduced into my
particular installation and is not widespread (haven't seen anyone else
complain about it and surely someone else is using local time). At least
converting to UTC fixed it without any noticeable difference on my system
(except if I happen to be going into the bios and look at the date there).

<snip>

>- --
>Cheers,
> Carlos E. R.