Re: [opensuse] Linux will never overtake Windows
  • From: J Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 10:21:57 -0800

StephenW wrote:
> I have heard from my friend who wrote the blog.
>
> FLAMERS is too soft of a word for some of you who posted to his blog. The use
> of obscenity and profanity was outrageous.
>
> I am embarrassed (nay, chagrined) and humiliated by most of the responses that
> were sent to him.

That's a shame. Such nonsense as appeared on the web page you cited should
probably have just been ignored. But I can understand people being outraged
when they read things they know from experience to be false, and especially
when this sort of propaganda is used in an effort to prop up a malevolent
corporate monopoly.

> I like working with linux at home, but it would be a real pain trying to keep
> up with all the problems I would have if it were in the school.

Pray tell, what problems? I find managing multiple linux systems much easier
than multiple windoze systems. When I was managing labs of windoze peecees,
the amount of maintenance required to keep things afloat was a real annoyance.
In one of the labs, we finally resorted to doing an automated wipe and
reinstall of windoze every night. In contrast, the linux systems were pretty
much a matter of install, set up and walk away.

> My job as a
> school tech support person will be much easier when the switch to all MS is
> complete. This multi-platform situation is a real hassle.

I must admit, that sounds absurd to me. I can only comment that the statement
says more about you than it says about anything else.

> I doubt it will happen, but I would that some of you who were less than
> courteous in your reply to his blog would return there with an apology. (I
> guess FLAMERS don't do that, do they?)

I suppose if the troll retracted some of his outrageous claims and apologized,
the folks who flamed him might well turn out to be in a conciliatory mood,
and apologize for their tone.

Joe