Re: [opensuse] fsck running amok
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:42:48 -0600
On 2007-01-20 06:39, Thomas Hertweck wrote:
> Darryl Gregorash wrote:
>
>> ... Re-running the journal on boot allows the system to keep
>> the file system in better order. Before that happens, however, a
>> consistency check must be done on the file system.
>>

> Journal replaying itself is done to ensure the consistency of the
> filesystem. Since the journal contains a chronological log of recent
> metadata changes, it's able to simply check the portions that have
> recently been modified - which is a matter of seconds. It does not
> re-order anything. After this step, the filesystem is usually marked
> as clean (unless something goes wrong and an fsck might be forced).

The reason I wrote that way is because my boot.msg contains the following:

Checking file systems...
fsck 1.36 (05-Feb-2005)
Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x349 of format 3.6 with standard
journal
Blocks (total/free): 2008112/1231671 by 4096 bytes
Filesystem is clean
Replaying journal..
<etc>

Am I correct in viewing the whole thing, super block plus tree
structure, as the "file system?" It would seem that first there is a
check for a valid super block, then the tree is checked for consistency,
and only then is the journal replayed. (Other journalling f ilesystems
may vary in specifics, of course.)