Re: [opensuse] External Drive Formatting Question
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:17:06 -0900
On Saturday 20 January 2007 11:42, Kai Ponte wrote:
> I plan to use this to back up data on both my *nix systems and a Win2K
> system.
>
> What do you suggest for formatting?

Are you asking about tools or structure or what?

Tools: Yast works fine

Structure: you need fat32/vfat in order to read/write from both linus/windows
You can use multiple partitions if you want/must keep the data separate.

I use one of these to backup my system. I use BRU to create compressed
archives on the drive. Pretty fast that way.

Note:
There is FUSE ntfs support that allows read/write from linux but it
is experimental. I can't think of a better place to experiment than
a external drive.

--
John Andersen