Re: [opensuse] Linux will never overtake Windows
  • From: J Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 12:37:38 -0800

Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y) wrote:
>> - it's true that you can install whatever you want but after a
>> while the installs/unistall makes your system very unstable.
>> Many of my friends complain that they have to reinstall the
>> whole system frequently (2-4 times a year).
>
> Some "major" Linux updates are painfull.
> I remember a hard FC3 -> FC4 I had to make on a dedicated server (SSH
> only).
> I dont know if it's the same under Windows: is W2k -> W2k3 very easy?
> Is it just about Next-Next-Next-Next-(Agree)-Finish?

I've done a number of major linux version upgrades: redhat 8 to fc1, redhat 9
to fc1, etc. The upgrades were done remotely, while the boxes remained in
service. It was a matter of copying an apt sources file and typing an apt-get
command, then going about my other work while the systems upgraded themselves.

There is no way that windoze can do that - with windoze you're going to sit
down in at the peecee, boot from cd, and go through the install screens,
reboots, driver installs, reboots, bug fixes, reboots and a lot of face time.

Joe