Re: [opensuse] Linux will never overtake Windows
  • From: Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:30:30 +0100 (CET)
> http://kumaryu.wordpress.com/2006/12/22/linux-will-never-
overtake-
windows-its-not-user-friendly/

Hello:

I've read the article at the above link and I disagree with its
statements.
I used windows for several years and my experience was that

- you have to become a windows power user to get rid of the
zillion annoyances and if you would like to adjust it to your likes.
To tweak windows is at least as difficult as linux.

- it's true that you can install whatever you want but after a
while the installs/unistall makes your system very unstable.
Many of my friends complain that they have to reinstall the
whole system frequently (2-4 times a year).

- most of the programs that are run on windows boxes are
either illegal installs of very expensive.

- if it starts to freeze or show symptoms of instability it is
hopeless to trace the reason. You have to reinstall. This
regards not only to mums and dads but to experineced users
too.

I agree that setting up a linux box may need some experience
but it's the same with windows.

Why would be harder to use the same firefox/mozilla/opera,
xmms, openoffice etc. on linux than windows? It's not at all.
My parents use linux for 3 years. And the system works for
them rock solidly and does what they need, browsing, text
editing, emailing, watching online TV, listening online radio,
skyping etc.

The real problems are in my opinion that a) most of the people
don't know what linux is and don't bother to give a try, b) they
are stuck to windows because of a few proprietary software like
MS Office, Adobe photoshop etc.

Cheers,
IG