[opensuse] 10.2 Xine problem
  • From: Charles A Kunce <ckunce@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 10:58:44 -0500
Hi folks,

I have just performed a fresh/new install of SUSE 10.2 on an older
machine completely overwriting a previous 10.0 install. I'm giving the
computer to someone else and wanted everything to be the newest and
figured there'd be less problems with a completely new install than with
an upgrade.

Anyway the problem is with playing audio CD's on a CD player using Xine
or Kaffeine. Here's the symptoms.
Under KDE Kaffeine starts up fine, plays a few seconds of the audio CD,
ejects the CD and then says:

"No plugin found to handle the resource [cdda:///dev/hdd/2]"
Looking in the details I see:

"xine: input plugin cannot open MRL [cdda:///dev/hdd/1]" and
"xine: cannot find input plugin for MRL [cdda:///dev/hdd/2"

it did find plugins for CDDA

hdd is linked to the CD player as far as I can tell. I have updated
all my multimedia stuff via Packman. Stuff I have seen on the web
relates to DVD players and didn't seem to apply. There was one
suggestion about rug for Suse 10.1 that didn't seem to help. Using the
mass update newer packages trick in Yast doesn't seem to help. Yast
says all is hunky dory. I'm at a loss

Here's a few particulars on the system:

packman source

http://packman.unixheads.com/suse/10.2

from an rpm -qa *xine*

libxine1-1.1.3-0.pm.0
libxine1-arts-1.1.3-0.pm.0
amarok-xine-1.4.4-28
xine-ui-0.99.4cvs-20061123.pm.0

CPU Intel Celeron (Coppermine) 800 Mhz
Sound Card: Intel 82801AA-ICH
CD Reader: FX4831T Using driver PIIX_IDE (/dev/hdd /dev/cdrom)
CD Writer: DX-CDRW using driver PIIX_IDE (/dev/hdc /dev/cdrecorder)
Vendor IN-CDRW
Memory (RAM): 383 Megabytes

Kaffeine identifies itself as .0.8.3

Everything worked perfectly on 10.0, same hardware, updated from
Packman. BTW I figured that since the packages were Packman packages,
normal Suse install support would not be available.

Help.

--
Those who have learned from history are surrounded by those who will repeat it.