Re: [opensuse] fsck running amok
  • From: Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 12:39:30 +0000

Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> [...]
> I may have mentioned in another note that this is likely due to the
> introduction of journalled file systems. I believe the situation is
> roughly this: Re-running the journal on boot allows the system to keep
> the file system in better order. Before that happens, however, a
> consistency check must be done on the file system.

Journal replaying itself is done to ensure the consistency of the
filesystem. Since the journal contains a chronological log of recent
metadata changes, it's able to simply check the portions that have
recently been modified - which is a matter of seconds. It does not
re-order anything. After this step, the filesystem is usually marked
as clean (unless something goes wrong and an fsck might be forced).