Re: [opensuse] new user - help with Pan Newsreader needed
  • From: Steve Jeppesen <ampster40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 06:19:40 -0600
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 23:11:35 -0800
Mark Harris <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I recently installed openSUSE 10.2. I resolved most of the problems I
> encountered, but I can't connect with my news server account with Pan.
> The news server says to check the 'authorization required' checkbox in
> the Pan news server dialog, which does not exist in my application. I
> tried the Pan website, and the checkbox appears in their screenshots.
> Unfortunately many of the links on that website are dead.
>
> I'd appreciate any help from users of Pan.

I'm using 0.120 right now - which is the latest and greatest. That
version is part of a complete rewrite of pan in c++ if I remember
right. I don't recall what version if any comes with 10.2.

But, I think that what ever version you have, where you have your news
server account configured, there should be a way to enter your user
name and password in that configuration dialog. In that dialog window
there maybe a "'authorization required' checkbox" which you might have
to check first before you can enter your username and password. In
the version I have, it just says "Login (if required)" and I can
just fill out the username and password - there isn't a checkbox at
all.

there are so many versions of Pan out there - but I believe the
screen shots at http://pan.rebelbase.com/ is based off the very old
release of 0.14.2 - which when looking at the version numbers you may
get confused if you don't know Pans recent history.

If you state exactly what version you have - others may chime in with
exactly what you are looking for.

If you want further help, here's the link to subscribe to that mailing
list;
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/pan-users. It's not very
active right now, you might see 10 to 20 messages a week - but Charles,
the current maintainer of Pan, is working hard at releasing 1.0 and is
also active in the mailing list.

Oh, BTW, the current version of Pan is missing some features since it's
a complete rewrite of the code - but don't let that stop you from
trying it out. It has much better memory usage over the old Pan.

Steve