Re: [opensuse] syslog stuff
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 23:07:23 -0600
On 2007-01-19 21:45, Greg Wallace wrote:
> <snip>
> details and see everything being deleted, added, etc., but how, for
> instance, would the average SUSE "user" know that syslog-ng was a
> replacement for syslogd. As a matter of fact, since it was a replacement,
> the installation process should have trashed it automatically, like it does
> for most packages that are becoming obsolete for that upgrade. For those
> doing clean installs this is a non-issue, but when upgrading you're pretty
> much relying on that upgrade process to handle these things.

Syslogd is probably still there because many use it for whatever reason.
If you have it installed, it is up to you, during the upgrade, to
specify it should be replaced by any alternative. This is the same as
any installed package for which an alternative exists. It is not
possible for the distribution authors to know which package(s) should or
should not be replaced, nor is it acceptable IMO for them to attempt to
presume any such knowledge. I most certainly would scream very loudly
if, during a full system upgrade, the installation process decided that
no, I do not actually want to use Seamonkey, rather I wish instead to
use Firefox and Thunderbird (or Konqueror and Evolution, or .....). I am
quite certain that you would complain even more loudly if the
installation decided that you didn't need Oracle, but wanted MySQL instead.