Re: [opensuse] SOLVED: SysRq output on serial console?
  • From: Winfried Huber <win@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 17:20:53 +0100
Hi Bill,

Am Donnerstag, 18. Januar 2007 20:55 schrieb Bill Anderson:
> > Got it!
> > The value of "KERNEL_LOGLEVEL" in /etc/sysconfig/syslog was set to 1 (the
> > default value). Setting this to 7 solved the problem.
> >
> > This can be done either by manually editing the file (and running
> > SuSEconfig afterwards) or using YAST2 -> system -> editor for
> > /etc/sysconfig files -> System -> Logging -> KERNEL_LOGLEVEL.
> >
> > Now my console is pretty chatty...
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Winfried
> >

> Suse set the kernel log level when starting the klogd daemon. I would
> prefer that klogd not modify the log log level. If a change is to be
> made to the default log level, why not make the change in sysctl.conf?

adding KERNEL_LOGLEVEL = "7" to /etc/sysctl.conf does not work for me
(openSuSE 10.2) - this line seems to be simply ignored. The value
in /etc/sysconfig/syslog gets used, and if it's commented out the default
value of 1 is used.
A value of "5" turned out to be "chatty enough" for the sysctl message bodies.

Why do you think setting KERNEL_LOGLEVEL in /etc/sysconfig/syslog is evil?
I think tuning the system is the purpose of /etc/sysconfig/* files?

Winfried