Re: [opensuse] fsck running amok
  • From: "Joe Morris (NTM)" <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 19:44:56 +0800
Greg Wallace wrote:
> Switching to UTC caused that date message to go away!
So you must have the setting that said your bios clock was set to utc,
yet before it was actually set to localtime. They only need to agree.
> Now, the only thing
> that comes out is -
>
> Waiting for device /dev/hda2 to appear: OK
> fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
> [/bin/fsck/ext3 (1) -- /] fsck.ext3 -a -CO /dev/hda2
> / (/dev/hda2) clean, 34... files, 89... blocks
> fsck succeeded. Mounting root device read write Mounting root /dev/hda2
>
> So if that date problem is cleared up, why do I still get an fsck every time
> I boot?
It is an automatic check to make sure no filesystem needs more extensive
checking.
> Here is a list of all of the rpmnews on my system.
>
> /etc/cups/printers.conf.rpmnew
> /etc/init.d/smbfs.rpmnew
> /etc/inittab.rpmnew
> /etc/krb5.conf.rpmnew
> /etc/ldap.conf.rpmnew
> /etc/localtime.rpmnew
> /etc/magic.rpmnew
> /etc/networks.rpmnew
> /etc/nsswitch.conf.rpmnew
> /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/k3b/k3bsetup.rpmnew
> /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/khelpcenterrc.rpmnew
> /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kioslaverc.rpmnew
> /etc/postfix/main.cf.rpmnew
> /etc/samba/lmhosts.rpmnew
> /etc/samba/smb.conf.rpmnew
> /etc/samba/smb.conf.rpmnew~
> /etc/samba/smbfstab.rpmnew
> /etc/samba/smbpasswd.rpmnew
> /etc/sane.d/dll.conf.rpmnew
> /etc/security/pam_unix2.conf.rpmnew
> /etc/sudoers.rpmnew
> /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf.rpmnew
> /etc/X11/qtrc.rpmnew
> /etc/xinetd.d/swat.rpmnew
> /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc.rpmnew
> /etc/udev/rules.d/30-net_persistent_names.rules.rpmnew
> /usr/sbin/useradd.local.rpmnew

You should really go through every one of those files and either replace
the orig with the newer one, or at least deal with all those config
files. I see /etc/localtime is one of those files. That was probably
your time problem's root. If you are going to update your install, you
need to finish it by checking and resolving these config files.

--
Joe Morris