Re: [opensuse] network printer--Windows
  • From: Koenraad Lelong <k.lelong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:33:00 +0100
Johannes Meixner schreef:
Hello,

On Jan 16 19:58 Doug McGarrett wrote (shortened):
Let us assume that I have a Windows machine connected to a Win Printer--
a lowly Lazerjet that Linux doesn't particularly know or love.
Can Linux print to this printer over a network connection,

No.

does Linux have to have some kind of driver for this printer?

Yes.
Not only "some kind of driver" but actually "the right driver".

See for example:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_via_SMB_(Samba)_Share_or_Windows_Share

It doesn't matter which kind of network protocol you use
(SMB, LPD, IPP, whatever) to transfer data from Linux to Windows.
The crucial point is that a usual Windows system (without additional
special software) cannot convert generic PostScript, PDF, JPEG, or
whatever stuff which is to be printed into printer specific data.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
FWIW, that special software could be Redmon (http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/redmon/ seems down for the moment). I used it to make a non-PCL printer accept PCL, but you can make it accept PostScript also.
--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Koenraad Lelong