RE: [opensuse] fsck running amok
On Thursday, January 18, 2007 @ 5:51 AM, Joe Morris wrote:

>Greg Wallace wrote:
>> Here's all of the lines from the start-up log beginning right before
the
>> fsck and ending with the mount of the file system.
>>
>> Waiting for device /dev/hda2 to appear: OK
>> fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
>> [/bin/fsck/ext3 (1) -- /] fsck.ext3 -a -CO /dev/hda2
>> / (/dev/hda2): Superblock last write time is in the future. FIXED
>> / (/dev/hda2) clean, 34... files, 89... blocks
>> fsck succeeded. Mounting root device read write
>> Mounting root /dev/hda2
>>
>> I don't understand the part about last write time being in the future.
>> Every time I boot I get that same message. When I booted from the DVD
and
>> ran e2fsck I also got it. I followed with another e2fsck right afterward
>> just to see if it went away and it did. But, when I booted again
normally
>> it showed right back up again. Do you think that's what's causing the
fsck?

>Yes, definitely. So to recap, you do not have a fsck problem, you have
>a time problem causing it to update the superblock (my guess is the
>writing of the dirty bit) with the wrong date, which causes it to fail
>the initial fsck and causing it to run to fix that problem. When you
>shutdown, it updates the hardware clock from the system clock (probably
>not the problem) and should mark the filesystem as cleanly shutdown.
>Something is writing the wrong date. Since you had a
>syslog-ng.conf.rpmnew file, is it possible there are other config files
>you have not updated since this was obviously an update install?

>--
>Joe Morris
>Registered Linux user 231871 running openSUSE 10.2 x86_64

Switching to UTC caused that date message to go away! Now, the only thing
that comes out is -

Waiting for device /dev/hda2 to appear: OK
fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
[/bin/fsck/ext3 (1) -- /] fsck.ext3 -a -CO /dev/hda2
/ (/dev/hda2) clean, 34... files, 89... blocks
fsck succeeded. Mounting root device read write Mounting root /dev/hda2

So if that date problem is cleared up, why do I still get an fsck every time
I boot? Here is a list of all of the rpmnews on my system.

/etc/cups/printers.conf.rpmnew
/etc/init.d/smbfs.rpmnew
/etc/inittab.rpmnew
/etc/krb5.conf.rpmnew
/etc/ldap.conf.rpmnew
/etc/localtime.rpmnew
/etc/magic.rpmnew
/etc/networks.rpmnew
/etc/nsswitch.conf.rpmnew
/etc/opt/kde3/share/config/k3b/k3bsetup.rpmnew
/etc/opt/kde3/share/config/khelpcenterrc.rpmnew
/etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kioslaverc.rpmnew
/etc/postfix/main.cf.rpmnew
/etc/samba/lmhosts.rpmnew
/etc/samba/smb.conf.rpmnew
/etc/samba/smb.conf.rpmnew~
/etc/samba/smbfstab.rpmnew
/etc/samba/smbpasswd.rpmnew
/etc/sane.d/dll.conf.rpmnew
/etc/security/pam_unix2.conf.rpmnew
/etc/sudoers.rpmnew
/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf.rpmnew
/etc/X11/qtrc.rpmnew
/etc/xinetd.d/swat.rpmnew
/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc.rpmnew
/etc/udev/rules.d/30-net_persistent_names.rules.rpmnew
/usr/sbin/useradd.local.rpmnew

Greg Wallace