RE: [opensuse] syslog stuff
On Thursday, January 18, 2007 @ 2:42 PM, Darryl Gregorash wrote:

>On 2007-01-18 14:05, Greg Wallace wrote:
>> On Thursday, January 18,, 2007 @ 1:33 PM, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
>>

>> <snip>
>>> The first should be set to "syslog-ng", but it may be set to "syslogd"
>>> (that would explain right away why there is no /var/log/firewall).
>>>

>> Bingo! It was set to syslog. I clicked on the drop-down and changed it
>> syslog-ng
>>

>> <snip>
>> I don't have SYSLOG_NG_CREATE_CONFIG. Hopefully, changing the value of
>> SYSLOG_DAEMON will do the trick.
>>
>Well, it will certainly get you running with syslog-ng :-) -- but
>perhaps it is configured to put all firewall messages into
>/var/log/messages anyway :-)

>If you now have a /var/log/firewall file, this one is done. Alas, it
>doesn't answer any of your questions about fsck, but now your mail
>kernel log isn't going to be full of firewall traffic :-)

I do indeed now have a /var/log/firewall file. I took a look at its
contents and it looks just like what was going into messages. So, maybe
that is fixed. Now what I'd like to do is rotate out the current huge
messages file and start with a new one. Can you tell me how to safely do
that?

Thanks,
Greg Wallace