Re: [opensuse] beagled CPU usage
  • From: kanenas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 01:58:50 -1000
On Thursday 18 January 2007 01:10, Stephan Binner wrote:
> On Thursday, 18. January 2007 10:36:30 Janne Karhunen wrote:
> > > will also continue to work without kdebase3-beagle being installed...
> >
> > Ok thanks for clarification, I thought it was based on beagle.
> > Does it use beagle for anything?
>
> Would the package exist otherwise? :-) The Beagle plugin enriches the
> search results with more sources (eg web history) and file search (also
> content).
>
> Bye,
> Steve
I am curious: just what does beagle do while working? What do all these fancy
programs do with cpu time? I remember running FEA on a 386 desktop computer
back in the late 80's. Running a 5000 element model would start on Friday
afternoon and hopefully it would complete by Monday morning. Opening up
wordstar or multimate document would take about 5-15 seconds. Today the same
FEA progam is completed in less than a minute and that is indicative of the
power of modern computers. But why does it take 10, 20, 30 seconds or even
minutes to open up just a blank open document? Why does ittake minutes to
"find" a file in konqueror? where does all the computer power go in today's
software like 10.2? Is it just an endless parade of recursive scripts calling
other scripts recursively? Is real programming dead?
dimitris.