Re: [opensuse] Recommended Website Tools
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 12:55:01 +0100
I'm afraid I would strongly recommend *not* using Nvu. It produces awful
markup. It tends to use spans for everything, but doesn't delete them
correctly if you change the format (eg from bold to italic). You then end up
with nested spans which produce unexpected visual results, and to fix this
you have to go into the markup anyway.

I suggested Nvu to my son for a school project, but he got so frustrated with
"why does this heading look different from that one, when I've told them both
to be H1?" that I told him I would go through the markup and tidy it up for
him. It took 3 hours to tidy up 4 or 5 pages, the markup was so awful. So
never again! YMMV, of course.

This is exactly my experience. I used NVU once in the past year... I
actually persisted with it for a while too. The nested span thing was
a nightmare. Everything is fine-ish if you create the content, and
then do the markup just once, but if you change your mind on anything,
then the nesting gets out of control, and do it a few times and you
webpage starts to do funny things.

I ended up dropping back to a plain text editor to clean things up
(didn't have access to Linux for this work).

On Linux.. I almost always use Quanta+. The ability to chose raw
code, or wysiwyg views is really nice.. and it (for me anyway)
seamlessly switches back and forth as I need it to. My alternative to
Quanta is Bluefish.

C.