Re: [opensuse] Recommended Website Tools
  • From: Kevin Donnelly <kevin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:47:30 +0000
On Thursday 18 January 2007 04:05, Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> My own opinion is, I like Quanta. I use it in text mode, but it does
> have a rather nice graphical mode also if your so inclined. NVu is
> another nice editor.

As you say, Quanta is easily the best there is for Linux.

I'm afraid I would strongly recommend *not* using Nvu. It produces awful
markup. It tends to use spans for everything, but doesn't delete them
correctly if you change the format (eg from bold to italic). You then end up
with nested spans which produce unexpected visual results, and to fix this
you have to go into the markup anyway.

I suggested Nvu to my son for a school project, but he got so frustrated with
"why does this heading look different from that one, when I've told them both
to be H1?" that I told him I would go through the markup and tidy it up for
him. It took 3 hours to tidy up 4 or 5 pages, the markup was so awful. So
never again! YMMV, of course.

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly