RE: [opensuse] syslog stuff
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:28:39 +0100 (CET)

The Wednesday 2007-01-17 at 22:10 -0600, Greg Wallace wrote:

> >Then this:
>
> >grep IN= /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf.in
>
> No such file or directory

That is your problem. Your syslog-ng installation is broken, repair it.
Then the messages from the firewall will be sorted to the appropriate file.

Try this:

grep -i SYSLOG_DAEMON /etc/sysconfig/syslog

you should get:

SYSLOG_DAEMON="syslog-ng"

If you get "syslog", then fire up the Yast package module, uninstall
syslog, and install syslog-ng instead.

If you get "syslog-ng", I would reinstall it.

> ls: cannot access /var/log/firewall: No such file or directory
>
> Maybe that's the problem. There is no separate log file set up for the
> firewall so all of the firewall messages get dumped into messages. Is there
> somewhere where you can define a specific separate log file for firewall
> messages?

See above.

- --
Cheers,