Re: [opensuse] CUPS: remote access settings and broadcasting queues
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:08:34 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Jan 17 18:49 Thibaut Cousin wrote (shortened):
> I have set up a little printing server at home. In OpenSUSE 10.1, I had
> configured the cups server to accept requests from the local network. As a
> result, my printer was automatically seen by all cups clients on the network,
> including Mac OS X, without any manual configuration.
> In OpenSUSE 10.2, I'm using the new possibility, "Remote access settings",
> which is much easier. It works well, but I need to declare and configure the
> printer on other computers. It looks like the cups server doesn't "broadcast"
> its printing queues, so they can't be autodetected.

Up to Suse Linux 10.1 we had CUPS 1.1 and since openSUSE 10.2 we have
CUPS 1.2 which is not fully backward compatible with CUPS 1.1.

E.g. by default cupsd in CUPS 1.2 listens only on internal
("localhost") network interfaces (and a Unix domain socket)
so that you must change it to listen on the outer network too:
Either add someting like "Listen IP.of.your.server", see
http://localhost:631/help/ref-cupsd-conf.html?TOPIC=References&QUERY=#Listen
or use YaST via "Other" -> "Change remote access"
and make sure that you use the firewall to protect your host
if it is accessible from any untrusted network.

Regarding "Browsing" versus "Client-only configuration" see:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

By the way:
In case of an update it is recommended not to use an outdated
cupsd.conf from a CUPS 1.1 installation before but to start
from scratch with the original cupsd.conf from our CUPS 1.2 RPM.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5 Mail: jsmeix@xxxxxxx