Re: [opensuse] beagled CPU usage
  • From: Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 22:23:47 -0800

> > > There are alternatives to Beagle, but I'm not sure they're any
> > > more "ready for prime-time" than Beagle is.
> >
> > Yeah, I agree.
> >
> > Plus locate is - gulp - command line and you need a college degree to
> > understand the regex operations in grep.
>
> Nah. Regular expressions are the bee's knees!
>
> Without regular expressions, programming / computers / digital life
> _itself_ would be impossible!!
>
> Or... Live by the regular expression, die by the regular expression.
>

> I could go on, but ... you know...

I dunno. Never was able to get the hang of regular expressions. I've been
trying to for over twenty years of programming and still haven't.

I officially gave up a year or two ago. Besides, I'm a manager now and don't
have to actually think anymore. :P

> > I personally euthanized the darn dog on all my machines and use a
> > logical folder structure to find things.
>
> Well, that's great, if you can get away with it, but my library has
> thousands of files and no single hierarchical organizational scheme is
> adequate. The problem is that hierarchies are entirely indadequate for
> organizing most content, since there's always multiple hierarchies that
> validly categorize it.

I can't really describe how I do it, because it only makes sense to me, but I
just did a count with KDirstat. According to that I have 83,662 files in
my /home/kai folder on my laptop and 72,361 on my main desktop. Now, that
includes those .hidden folders, so the actual number of files I need to take
care of should be less, but I'm sure not TOO much less.

> > My machines work way faster.
>
> Faster than what?

Faster than a machine running with BeagleD slowing it down. :)

--
kai - theperfectreign@xxxxxxxxx

friends don't let friends use windows