Re: [opensuse] fsck running amok
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 20:46:36 -0600
On 2007-01-17 19:08, Greg Wallace wrote:
> <snip>
> Can you suspend the graphical mode via some set of keys, unmount the file
> system and do an fsck, or do you have to boot up in non-graphical mode to

Neither is a viable option, because you will be unable to umount
essential parts of the filesystem, like /. Running fsck on a mounted
file system is, as they would say in Oceania[1], "double plus ungood".

Boot to the rescue system on your installation CD/DVD. The filesystem
there is just a RAMdisk, and nothing else is mounted. You can fsck every
partition in your system without worry.

--
[1] This is 2007, don't tell me you haven't read Orwell?!!