Re: [opensuse] beagled CPU usage
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:50:55 -0800
On Wednesday 17 January 2007 15:06, Fred A. Miller wrote:

> > > What dependency?
> >
> > Precisely that. I'd prefer to get it going..
>
> Install locate.....it's a UNIX util. available from several of the
> servers. It runs from commandline, but quick and VERY usefull. Beagle
> isn't ready for prime time yet.

Once again it must be pointed out that locate only operates on file
names. Beagle looks at file contents. They're not interchangeable.

Furthermore, even if you combine one of the grep family of programs with
locate you won't recreate Beagle's capabilities because Beagle extracts
text contents from a variety of file formats even when that textual
content represented in obscure ways.

Look at a PDF file once, there's so much extraneous formatting
information interleaved with the text that only rarely would grep or
other textual search find what you're looking for. The same goes for
PostScript, Word and almost any word-processing or document
distribution format.

There are alternatives to Beagle, but I'm not sure they're any
more "ready for prime-time" than Beagle is.

> Fred

Randall Schulz