Re: [opensuse] encrypted usb drives - fixed mount points
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 21:02:46 +0100 (CET)

The Tuesday 2007-01-16 at 13:15 -0500, Dennis E. Slice wrote:

> For unencrypted drives, an entry with something like /dev/sda1 is
> entered into the fstab. For encrypted ones, a similar entry is made in
> /etc/cryptotab.

As I mentioned previously, you can also use fstab for encrypted
partitions. For instance, one of mine:

/device_or_file /mnt/crypto xfs noauto,loop=/dev/loop4,encryption=twofish256 0 0

I doubt labels could be used here, but I assume dev-ids would - I never
thought of that till reading this thread ;-)

> These encrypted drives don't automatically mount AFAIK, so I have a
> little script I run as su when I (re)boot the computer. Something like:

They would mount if available at boot time, if the service is enabled:

nimrodel:~ # chkconfig boot.crypto
boot.crypto on

and the device is available at that time. It prompts for a password during
boot up.

> script: usbmount...
>
> umount /dev/sda1
> umount /dev/sdb1
> umount /dev/sdc1
> /etc/init.d/boot.crypto start
> mount /media/wd120

If you define them in fstab instead, a simple "mount /mnt/crypto" works.
Easier typing ;-)

> One thing to note. My system had USB1.1, so I bought a cheap USB 2.0 PCI
> card. For unencrypted drives, that improved performance 20X, but only
> around 10X for encrypted volumes. That is, there is about a 50%
> performance hit due to running encryption, but it is not really
> noticable to me in use.

sync/nosunc?

- --
Cheers,