Re: [opensuse] fsck running amok
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 22:17:25 -0500
* Greg Wallace <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx> [01-16-07 21:58]:
[...]
> I want to be able to scroll backward from the end of the file, not
> just see the last few lines in the file. I know there's a way to do
> it because I've done it before. I just have to remember how. I
> thought there was a command under less that said go to the end, but I
> can't find any reference to it under "man less".

There are many ways to get information, The Linux Document Project,
Google, man, info, <command> --help.......

opening a small file with less and typing 'h' or 'H' yields:

SUMMARY OF LESS COMMANDS

Commands marked with * may be preceded by a number, N.
Notes in parentheses indicate the behavior if N is given.

h H Display this help.
q :q Q :Q ZZ Exit.

MOVING

e ^E j ^N CR * Forward one line (or N lines).
y ^Y k ^K ^P * Backward one line (or N lines).
f ^F ^V SPACE * Forward one window (or N lines).
and much more.

man less yields:

g or < or ESC-<
Go to line N in the file, default 1 (beginning of file).
(Warning: this may be slow if N is large.)

G or > or ESC->
Go to line N in the file, default the end of the file.
(Warning: this may be slow if N is large, or if N is not
specified and standard input, rather than a file, is
being read.)

p or % Go to a position N percent into the file. N should be
between 0 and 100.

I don't know why you are unable to find what you are looking for.
Appears that you are not really looking!

OpenSUSE Linux http://en.opensuse.org/