RE: [opensuse] fsck running amok
ON Tuesday, January 16, 2007 @ 4:04 PM, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

>* Greg Wallace <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx> [01-16-07 15:17]:
>> I have been running 10.2 for several weeks now and just in the last two
or
>> three days my system ran fsck at each startup. I've only rebooted once a
>> day, so I have no idea why this started happening. I don't believe it
was
>> happening until just recently, so maybe it's a result of a system patch
(?).
>> I forget where you set the count as to how many reboots need to occur
>> between fscks. Could someone tell me where that setting is? I know I
>> haven't modified it and for as long as I have had SuSE (since 8.1) I
believe
>> it was set at 99. It's never done this before.

>remember Goggle ???

>a goggle search for "file system check frequency" eighth suggestion
>gives "tune2fs" which exists in e2fsprogs, for ext2/3 filesystems (you
>didn't say which). There is a manpage.

>I'm sure that a similar utility exists for other filesystems. Goggle
>is available.

I had tried Google, but couldn't come up with a phrase that narrowed things
down enough. Mostly got hits about how to run fsck. I tried your search
criteria and found the one about tune2fs. I ran --

tune2fs -T and got ...(29-May-2006). That's the same date I see in the log
every time fsck runs. Sounds like a problem. I'm going to look at this
command some more and see if I can dig any other information out. However,
it would seem that running e2fsck would automatically re-set that date, but
maybe there is some special type of e2fsck running on my machine that isn't
driven by date. On the other hand, 29-May-2006 is a long time ago. Surely
an auto-fsck should have been run since then. Pretty strange.

Greg W