RE: [opensuse] fsck running amok
On Tuesday, January 16, 2007 @ 4:50 PM, Carlos Robinson wrote:

>The Tuesday 2007-01-16 at 14:14 -0600, Greg Wallace wrote:

>> I have been running 10.2 for several weeks now and just in the last two
or
>> three days my system ran fsck at each startup. I've only rebooted once a
>> day, so I have no idea why this started happening. I don't believe it
was
>> happening until just recently, so maybe it's a result of a system patch
(?).
>> I forget where you set the count as to how many reboots need to occur
>> between fscks. Could someone tell me where that setting is? I know I
>> haven't modified it and for as long as I have had SuSE (since 8.1) I
believe
>> it was set at 99. It's never done this before.

>I don't think that is probable. If you look at the boot messages, while
>its booting, not in the log, you would see a message like "filesystem not
>checked in so many days, checking forced". If you don't, it is something
>else - and it may tell what.

>Perhaps an fstab incosistency, a "/forcefsck" file...

That's right, of course. I'd completely forgotten that that message came
out when it was fscking on cycle. I have not gotten that message. One
thing I have noticed each time is a message that says --

fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)

That same message has appeared each time 2 lines ahead of the line showing
the results of the fsck. If that's supposed to be the date of the last
fsck, then it is not getting re-set. That still wouldn't explain why the
message "filesytem not checked..." isn't appearing. Maybe that message
doesn't appear any longer under 10.2? By the way, I'm using the EXT3 file
system.

Greg W