Re: [opensuse] DVD Mount problem
  • From: James Watkins <misterwatto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 15:11:21 +0000
On Tuesday 16 January 2007 01:22, Stevens wrote:

> Start monitoring devicelist:
> storage_model_DVD_RW_IDE1108 property storage.removable.media_available
> =false
>
> With the 10.2 installation dvd installed, it is:
>
> lshal -m
>
> Start monitoring devicelist:
> storage_model_DVD_RW_IDE1108 property storage.removable.media_available
> = true
>
> ===================
>
> Why do I feel that this is an important clue... Where can I find info on
> hal?

With a Video DVD I get:

storage_serial_200638 property storage.removable.media_available = true
storage_serial_200638 property storage.removable.media_size = 7609661440
(0x1c5923800)
volume_label_AMELIE added

and with a DVDROM I get:
storage_serial_200638 property storage.removable.media_available = true
storage_serial_200638 property storage.removable.media_size = 2198620602368
(0x1ffe8000000)
volume_label_Quality_Test added
volume_label_Quality_Test property volume.mount_point = '/media/Quality Test'
volume_label_Quality_Test property volume.is_mounted_read_only = true
volume_label_Quality_Test property volume.is_mounted = true

So it looks like, contrary to my initial assumption, hal is responsible for
creating mount points and not kde's media manager. I don't know a great deal
about hal but as far as I understand it hal monitors for hardware changes and
applications communicate with it through dbus so it might be worth checking
that dbus is running too. More info here:

http://hal.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fhal

http://hal.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fdbus

I also found out that there is a kde helper application called
kio_media_mounthelper which gets involved at some stage. My knowledge on
this subject is running a bit thin now but it looks like a hal thing. Unless
you've got plenty of time to read the hal spec and mess about with fdi files
then you may have to just be patient until the bug report has been processed.
media_available = false sounds a bit fishy, are there any error messages
in /var/log/messages?
Perhaps the video dvd is the wrong region for your drive??
Clutching at straws a bit now I'm afraid.