Re: [opensuse] remove usb disk
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 11:51:55 +0100
On Thursday 11 January 2007 13:45, Primm said:
> No. I don't mount it at the command line. It always appears under
> /media/disk when I plug it in so it seems that I have no choice as to where
> it is mounted. I tried under yast to mount it as a name rather than a
> device but that didn't work. It doesn't really matter as I always seems to
> work by just pulling the cable. I just wantead an equivalent of what KDE
> does in it' 'remove safely' option just to make sure.

It would be nice if there was a desktop independent suite of commands for an
unprivileged user to mount and unmount removable media, but the best I know
of would be something like 'qdbus --system
org.freedesktop.Hal /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_38f4262e_21f4_4fa5_b409_fd942e92d51d'
and then figuring out the Hal dbus api to tell it to do what you want.

However under KDE 3 the command line syntax is a bit easier, to drive the KDE
media management system as if you were selecting 'Safely Remove' from the UI.

First 'dcop kded mediamanager fullList' for the list of media attached to the
system.
Then something like 'dcop kded mediamanager
unmount /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_38f4262e_21f4_4fa5_b409_fd942e92d51d'
where the last argument is the volume ID corresponding to the disk you want to
sync and umount. Unfortunately /media/disk doesn't work here, you have to
look up the ID mounted there using ... fullList and then pass that to ...
unmount. Enterprising souls can write a wrapper script to do this in one
step.

HTH

Will