Re: [opensuse] Timesync problem
  • From: "Geir A. Myrestrand" <geir.myrestrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:25:11 -0500
Geir A. Myrestrand wrote:
J Sloan wrote:

Have a look at http://www.ntp.org.
Or install package xntp / xntp-doc and read the documentation.

You want to use a pool of time servers (preferably in a region near your
machine), and then run the ntp service. ntpdate is the manual time sync
tool.

It is configurable though YaST (from SLP 9.3):
Yast2 > Network Services > NTP Client.

That's all well and good, but the problem is the vmware client. We have local
stratum 2 ntp servers, but the vmware clients are unable to sync to them. The
only thing that works is a periodic ntpdate command.

Yeah, I saw the other replies. Sounds like EMC/VMware have the work cut out for them if they haven't fixed it already.

Do you have VMware Tools in the guest OS and this line in the .vmx file on the host machine?

tools.syncTime = "TRUE"

--

Geir A. Myrestrand