[opensuse] SysRq output on serial console?
  • From: Winfried Huber <win@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 11:15:18 +0100
Hi all,

to hunt down occasional kernel oopses I attached a serial console at my
linux box. So I can get oopses even though the kernel can't write log files
any more.

But sometimes the kernel is not completely fucked up and SysRq still works.
But the kernel can't write /var/log/messages any more, and I can't switch to
my X11 console (Ctrl-Alt-F10).

But SysRq writes header lines only to my serial console, e.g. "SysRq : Show
Memory". The real interesting part, memory dumps, backtraces, locks, etc. are
written to /var/log/messages only and thus are lost :-(
I need them on the serial console.

Anybody out there a clue at which facility and level SysRq dumps?

Assuming the facility is kernel I edited syslog-ng.conf to ...

filter f_console { level(debug) and facility(kern) and not filter(f_iptables)
or level(err) and not facility(authpriv); };

... but this didn't help either.

Thanks for any help,
Winfried