[opensuse] Dell E520 and snd_hda_intel
  • From: Marc Wilson <msw@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:27:33 -0800
I know there was a big thread about this earlier in December, but no one
since has said anything about it. :)

Just got my new E520. Core 2 Duo, 965 chipset, and no sound support in
10.2 to speak of. It looks like it's deliberate, based on the information
at http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Sound_Cards ... of course, I'm not even sure
that the current 2.6.19.2 kernel would support this motherboard audio
properly.

Analog audio out and SPDIF. <sigh>

Well, you can install the current alsa 1.0.14rc1 over the top of the
2.6.18-34 kernel and make it give you *all* the options. :)

Just build ONLY the snd_hda_intel modules, and only use the install-modules
target to install it. Minimum disruption to the existing kernel install.

Lots of stuff in the changelog for that version about new PCI ID's for
Dell machines, and fixes/changes to the Sigmatel support as well.

I couldn't find anything in the list archives, but did find some stuff for
other distributions on the 'net. :)

Anyway, figured I'd make my first post to the list at least vaguely
constructive....

--
Marc Wilson | "The porcupine with the sharpest quills gets stuck
msw@xxxxxxx | on a tree more often."