Re: [opensuse] Future of SUSE (at home)
  • From: Stevens <fred00sandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:22:59 -0600
"Cristian Rodriguez R." <judas_iscariote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> PEBCAK . all you telling us can be done with yast or with a simple
> tutorial, if you actually dont want to **get a clue ** about basic
> things of an OS, Im not sure if linux is the right choice for you.

And therein lies the problem: the "look down your nose" attitude of most
Linux nerds about the development of user-friendly tools and GUIs. There
are vast numbers of computer owners out there who use M$ because it works
for them without requiring much in the way of computer skills and until
such time that a Linux distro comes along that offers the same ease of
use, Linux will stay in the background.

Look, we all know that Linux is technically superior, but like that old
Starkist ad, "We don't want tuna with good taste, we want tuna that tastes
good". Distro and desktop designers, developers and others in the Linux
community need to drop their holier-than-thou attitude and concentrate on
the masses who need to escape the clutches of M$.

I just read an article (linked on opensuse earlier) that spoke of the NSA's
involvement in Vista's security development and the desire of China to
use "other than Microsoft" systems. The Chinese market is huge and if we
in the West do not lead the way in this effort, the best distros in the
future may have to be translated from Mandarin.

Fred