Re: [opensuse] KnetworkManager wireless connection problem
  • From: "Dennis J. Tuchler" <dennis.tuchler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 11:53:48 -0600
John Andersen wrote:
On Saturday 13 January 2007 14:17, Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
I am operating under SUSE 10.2, and the wireless card is really a
centrino chip. It is recognized as a separate wireless card (wireless
220BG)

First, Centrino is a designation of a compatible set of equipment
in a machine, not a specific chipset. Centrino can apply
to a machine that has a number of different wifi cards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrino

I was under the impression that a Centrino brought wi fi capability without the need to add an extra card. Am Iwrong? What does the Centrino's wireless function do?

You have to dig out the actual chipset of the wifi card, the number
you mention (220BG) seems to be missing a digit.).

It should be 2200BG.

Did you install the firmware package for Intel cards?

I don't recall doing that; there did not seem a need as 10.2 seened to recognize the Intel card right off.

--
Best regards,

Dennis J. Tuchler
7330 Kingsbury Boulevard