Re: [opensuse] ati X1400 fglrx 8.33.6 no screens
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 18:00:33 -0900
On Saturday 13 January 2007 17:08, golfer wrote:
> On 1/13/07, John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Ok here's mine. Its from a Dell Inspiron 9400 with the X1400 card
> > with a lcd screen that has a native resolution of 1920x1200.
> >
> > See note at bottom
>
> thanks John. Yours is the same as mine, except for the differences in
> our monitor size. I also notice your using the last release version
> 8.32.5. I tried that and had the same bad experience. Can you think
> of anything else you might have changed that would have made it work?

Built from their driver instructions. However I did it at init 3, so i did
not see any of the screens shown on that page, and I inspected the
files and found there were additional make targets in there that the
docs do not mention. Since I have a Core 2 Dup, and AMD does not
yet want to admit these exist, I had to guess which processor to
specify. I think it was emt64 or some such.

> > DisplaySize 367 230
> > HorizSync 30-94
> > ModelName "HH258 171WU1 LCD MONITOR"
> >
> > Modes "1920x1200"
> > -------------Note:
> > Because kernel replacements have (and likely will) come along, you have
> > to re-apply the rpm occasionally. I keep this little script to do this.
> > Note that I do not have to run Sax again after a kernal update.
> >
> > gotroot:~ # cat upgrade-ati
> > ./ati-driver-installer-8.32.5-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg
> > SuSE/SUSE102-AMD64 rpm --replacepkgs -Uhv
> > fglrx64_7_1_0_SUSE102-8.32.5-1.x86_64.rpm aticonfig --initial
> > --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf
> >
> > John Andersen
>
> I'm still running the 10.2 install disk system. I haven't got my
> network working yet.
>
> Are you running 10.2 from the disks, or did you do an upgrade from 10.1?
>
> Was yours working from the git-go, or did you do some magic?

No, it didn't run from scratch, and I was stuck at 800x600 till I downloaded
from this page and built it according to their directions:
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux64/linux64-firegl.html
(other than doing it at init 3 so no graphics. The instructions in the
download are better and more recent than the ones on that page).
The suse repos of that page were not up to date for 10.2, and may still not
be for all I know.

> Did you notice if there have been any updates to the xorg or kernel
> that might explain your ati working and mine not?

Well, Yes, I believe there were xorg fixes along the way, but
they did not seem to affect this.

There are still problems with the 8.32.5 drivers, not the least
of which are instant Xserver crashes trying to play ANY kind of video
using xine, mplayer, whatever.