Re: [opensuse] How to Clone a whole disk?
  • From: "Rami Michael" <thikrat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 13:08:11 -0500
Another idea, if you need to backup across a network, is to use dd
with netcat (this assumes you are on a highspeed local network) it
worked beautifully. Google it and you should see some easy articles
and howto's.

On 1/13/07, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 1/13/07, Reinhard Gimbel <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Bo, hello community !
>
> Bo wrote / schrieb:
>
> > I've just been lurking so far but
> > I would be happy to recieve some help on the topic of how to clone an
> > entire disk (with
> > partitions and diferent filesystems and all) on a dual boot home systen.
> > No servers or anything.
>
> Unix command "dd" (= device dump) is your friend !
>
> Assuming the disk to clone is connected to primary IDE channel as master
> (=/dev/hda) and the target disk resides on primary IDE as slave
> (=/dev/hdb) the command you need to issue looks like this:
>
> dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=128M
>
> The option "bs" specifies a buffer of 128MB size. Otherwise "dd" would
> copy blocks of 512 byte each ...

I agree with others, that a Ghost like program would be better than
dd, but if you're going to use dd to copy a whole disk, use the read
error options to continue past the occasional bad sector:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=128M conv=noerror,sync

And bs=4k is big enough in my experience. (And I do this a lot
including timing tests etc..) If you're target is a tape, then you
want (need) a big blocksize like above, but be sure to label your disk
with the blocksize you used. I've found that a lot of tapes can only
be read if you use the same blocksize as you wrote.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group