Re: [opensuse] Which graphic card should I buy?
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:56:11 -0900
On Thursday 11 January 2007 07:33, ken wrote:
> > Sorry if you think this is a bit sharp but i am getting a little short in
> > the fuse department thses days with all these people wetting there
> > collective nappies over the Nvidia drivers , If you/they dont like the
> > way the drivers are built then get involved in writing free open drivers
> >   .  As an old saying goes    "shutup or putup"
> >

> > Pete .
>
> I've been using ATI with linux for decades and have always had fine
> results.  I'd note also that Macs also use ATI video cards and Apple is
> quite well known for using quality hardware and, among other things, for
> video their use in video production.  And, as most people know by now,
> the Mac OS X is pretty much all BSD, a close cousin to Linux.

Well their new drivers for the Mobility Radeon cards are a little bit
broken still.

ANY attempt to play ANY video, via any number of video
players using any number of video sources results in an instant
x server crash.

I'm just waiting for that to get fixed, but the 8.32.5 drivers simply
are not complete for Linux x86_64. This from the company
you suggest specializes in video?

--
John Andersen