Re: [opensuse] Suse 10.2 +two network cards
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:05:57 +0100
> From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
> > >
> > > I have two wired network cards on separate networks. I can switch back
> > > and forth between them and the connections stay stable. I'm with you I
> > > would like to know if there is a way to get both active at the same
> > > time. Something like the old dual line modems.
> >
> > Are you trying to put both interfaces on the same network (both have the
> > same net mask)? That is problematic. Otherwise there is no trouble with
> > multiple cards. My wireless network is different from my wire one, so it
> > 'just works'. with two cards. In fact, in our products, we always have
> > two cards - and two different networks.
> >
> > Having said that, there is one small issue with YasT that has been this
> > way for years. It will not let you give different names to the cards.
> > After assigning the system name, it is applied to both cards. So, you
> > need to edit /etc/hosts and give one card (IP address) a different name.
> > That is the only issue I have ever had.
> >
> > --
> > Roger Oberholtzer
> >
> > OPQ Systems AB
> > Ramböll Sverige AB
> > Kapellgränd 7
> > P.O. Box 4205
> > SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden
> >
> > Tel: Int +46 8-615 60 20
> > Fax: Int +46 8-31 42 23
> >
> > --
> >

> No, they are two different networks. The network cards are already two different names, eth0 and eth1
>
> Here is output from route
> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
> 10.37.129.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 vnic0
> 10.18.32.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
> 192.168.99.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
> link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
> loopback * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
> default 10.18.32.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
>
> Guess I need default to go to 192.168.99.1 but have not figured out how. I can ping eth1 IP address with no problem from linux.

Simple. It can be done in Yast where you configure the cards. In
Advanced Options or something like that. It is called the default
gateway. On the 192.168.99.1 network, is there a gateway or a switch or
something? Give that IP address as the gateway and all will just work.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems AB
Ramböll Sverige AB