Re: [opensuse] Suse 10.2 +two network cards
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 08:27:48 +0100
On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 19:45 -0600, Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> On 01/10/2007 Art Fore wrote:
> > How does one get two networking cards to go at the same time in Suse
> > Linux 10.2? I have eth0 which is wired network, and eth1 which is
> > Wireless. If I connect to the wireless using network manager, it
> > disconnects the eth0 network, connects to the wireless eth1 for a few
> > seconds, disconnects eth1, then goes back to the eth0.
>
> I have two wired network cards on separate networks. I can switch back
> and forth between them and the connections stay stable. I'm with you I
> would like to know if there is a way to get both active at the same
> time. Something like the old dual line modems.

Are you trying to put both interfaces on the same network (both have the
same net mask)? That is problematic. Otherwise there is no trouble with
multiple cards. My wireless network is different from my wire one, so it
'just works'. with two cards. In fact, in our products, we always have
two cards - and two different networks.

Having said that, there is one small issue with YasT that has been this
way for years. It will not let you give different names to the cards.
After assigning the system name, it is applied to both cards. So, you
need to edit /etc/hosts and give one card (IP address) a different name.
That is the only issue I have ever had.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems AB