Re: [opensuse] Does PPTP VPN actually work in SUSE 10.2?
  • From: Sylvester Lykkehus <zly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 19:14:41 +0100
James Knott wrote:
I have been trying unsuccessfully to use PPTP VPN to connect to a couple of remote networks. One requires a domain name and the other doesn't. I have been following some advice in this forum as well as google searching. I have tried webmin, kvnc, the knetworkmanager mods etc., but cannot find any method that allows me to set up what should be a simple VPN connection. This makes me wonder if the pptp client in SUSE actually works! Has anyone come up with a simple, reliable method for configuring a PPTP VPN? I have a valid username, host address, domain name and password for doing this. What else do I need??? What about clear instructions for just using the pptp command???

tnx jk

Hi James,

As I have not upgraded to 10.2 just yet, I wouldn't know of any problems with PPTP in it.

I do however, have both the PPTP server and client running and working on 10.0, and the procedures should be the same.

The company I am connection to is running MS vpn, with mschap-v2 auth and 128bit mppe encryption.

This is how I configured it:
I did not have much luck with the rpm's available for the pptpclient, therefore i used the tar.gz version

1. Get the latest pptpclient from http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/ (direct link: http://mesh.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/pptpclient/pptp-1.7.1.tar.gz)

2. Unpack, compile (make), and install (make install (as root))

3. You should now have a decent /etc/ppp/options.pptp file, configured for mschap-v2.
If you need mppe encryption, uncomment the line thats says "#require-mppe-128".

4. Create a file under /etc/ppp/peers/, e.g. /etc/ppp/peers/company, which contains your username and specific options for this peer.
My /etc/ppp/peers/company looks like this:
name DOMAIN\\USERNAME
remotename DOMAIN\\USERNAME
file /etc/ppp/options.pptp
Remember, there has to be 2 backslashes at the domain/username seperation.

5. You have to insert you username and password to /etc/ppp/chap-secrets in the format:
client hostname <password> IP addresses
My /etc/ppp/peers/chap-secrets looks like this:
"DOMAIN\\USERNAME" "*" mypassword

6. You should be able to connect to the VPN server with the pptp command:
pptp <host/ip> call <name of peer file>, in this case:
pptp vpn.company.net call company

Hope this helps, it works for me in 10.0

Best regards
Sylvester Lykkehus
< Previous Next >
List Navigation